Monday, November 24, 2008

Thanksgiving Week! And-a Breakfast Casserole!

It's finally Thanksgiving week! Yay!! I can't believe it's finally here. I've been planning this week for ages, and now that it's here, it's time to put the plans into action.

I have a full week ahead. The kids are in school today and tomorrow. I'm off today, but may have to work tomorrow. I'm not sure yet. So, today on the agenda is lots of cleaning...our bedroom is basically clean but needs a big de-cluttering...and our bathroom is pretty bad...but it's small, so it won't take too long. A little tidying up around the rest of the house and it should be in pretty good shape. Wednesday I'm sure I'll be helping Mom get ready for that massive crowd that comes to her house-usually around 40. I have about half that many at my house. I am making the dressing for both houses this year, so I'm planning on doing that on Wednesday. I'll also make the Pumpkin Ooey Gooey Cake on Wednesday. The recipe for that is from Paula Deen, and it is a keeper!! (You'll have to scroll down a little for the recipe) I'll also make the BLT dip and the cranberry spread on Wednesday so that the flavors can marry. Then, Thursday morning I'll pop the hams in the oven and get them ready. Shouldn't be too much for one day!

On Friday, when the rest of the world is shopping, I'll be cooking!! Details on this later!

Here's the breakfast casserole recipe. It's so good, and if you don't have homemade dressing left over, you can use the packaged stuff. It's really good with that, too.

Breakfast Casserole
Leftover dressing to fill the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish, or use a boxed mix, prepared according to package directions
1 pound breakfast sausage, crumbled and browned
12 eggs, beaten
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put dressing in the bottom of a sprayed baking dish, then layer the sausage and 1 cup of the cheese on top of the dressing. Add salt and pepper to eggs, then pour over the sausage and cheese. Top with the remaining cheese. Bake for about an hour, until the eggs are set. If the cheese on top starts to brown before the eggs are done, cover with foil and continue to bake.

Once you make this once, you'll think of all kinds of yummy variations...put a can of green chilies in the eggs and top with hot pepper jack cheese or Monterrey Jack. Or, use some Italian herbs, like basil and oregano, and top with mozzarella cheese. The variations are limited only by your imagination!

I like to serve this with biscuits or croissants, jelly and butter, and fresh fruit. Add some coffee and juice and you're set!

Next post: Cranberry Cups and the rest of my plans!

1 comment:

Shakerwood said...

You have 40 at your mom's house and another 20 at your house?!? Do you, Lynn and the boys eat at both houses? Do you eat the next week at all? Good luck with all that. Good thing for the OC and the MHH!