Sunday, November 23, 2008

Cornbread Dressing

I do believe I could eat cornbread dressing with every single meal. I love the stuff...and it's even better the next day, so I like to make extra. Sometimes I even make a small "extra" pan of it and keep it hidden until the next day...but don't tell anyone!

This is my own adaptation of a basic, old southern recipe. I rarely measure anything, but I'll guesstimate for you!!

Cornbread Dressing
1 small onion, diced
1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
2 T. butter
1 pan of cornbread, cooked, cooled and crumbled (cornbread recipe to follow)
5 slices of white bread, set out to dry a couple of hours, then finely crumbled
1 sleeve saltine crackers, finely crushed
4 eggs
1 quart chicken broth
2 t. poultry seasoning (or to taste on all seasonings)
1 t. sage
1 t. salt
1 t. pepper
Butter for greasing the casserole dish, or use non-stick cooking spray

Saute the onion and celery in the butter until tender. Set aside to cool slightly.
In a very large bowl, combine the crumbed cornbread, the crumbled white bread and the crushed crackers. Add the eggs and use the chicken broth to moisten the mixture. Stir in the cooled veggies and the seasonings. Add more broth if necessary to get it to the consistency you like. I like mine just a little "soupy" when I put it in the oven, so that it stays nice and moist. Butter or spray a large casserole dish...I use a 10x13 baking pan. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake at 350 degrees about 60-75 minutes. (Don't overcook or it will dry out.) This is good hot, but it's also good served at room temperature, so you can make it early in the day.

I'm sure you could stuff a turkey with this...we don't do that at our house, we just cook it in the pan. Also, this freezes like a dream, and actually seems to get better in the freezer. Freeze it before baking, just be sure to wrap it very tightly in plastic wrap and then in foil. Then, put it in the fridge the night before you want to bake it and let it thaw, then pop it in the oven the next day. It also freezes well as leftovers, if you happen to have any left over. We always eat it before I can freeze it.

My sweet neighbor, Cissy, doesn't put eggs in hers, and it works great. She's the one who introduced me to the freezing it idea. She makes her dressing for Thanksgiving and Christmas a couple of weeks before Thanksgiving then freezes both pans. Then during the busy cooking time, she has that much done. She's one smart cookie!!

Next post-a great breakfast casserole that uses up any of the leftover dressing you might have!

Gratefully,
Cathy

2 comments:

Becki said...

Good idea to make ahead and freeze. I always freeze any if we have it left from Christmas, but I'm thinking now it might help me to make it now and freeze it for the big day.

Also, after I got married I sat down with Grandma Miller and got her to tell me how she made her Dressing. And I have tried to duplicate it; I think I do a good job. I've just noticed that your "recipe" (Grandma's was sort of a bit of this here and a bit of that there) is almost exactly like her's. She did not put in crackers and I don't either. But, yours is yummy with them in there. Grandma would be proud to know her Grandkids are eating the same dressing that she made for us. Of course, she always had to make a separate pan without onions for a certain group of Grandkids. Do you happen to know them?

The Old Parsonage said...

All of your recipes sound delicious! My DH loves cornbread stuffing and I might try this out between now and Christmas.