Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Cranberry Spread

I wish I had a picture of this to share, but trust me when I tell you it's very festive and pretty, as well as good! I have to make this every year, or a certain cousin fusses (you know who you are, Bobbie!). And it's so easy there's no reason not to make it.

This is one of those "method" recipes rather than just a "recipe" recipe, if you know what I mean. Once you make it, you'll think of a dozen ways to alter it and jazz it up according to your tastes.

16 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 bag dried cranberries
1 Tablespoon of orange juice (more if needed to make the mixture loose enough to stir)

Put the cream cheese in a mixing bowl and mash it up with a fork...when it's soft and loose, stir in the dried cranberries and orange juice. Use your clean hands and mold it into a ball on a serving plate. Serve with crackers, gingersnaps or vanilla wafers.

I think you could easily substitute savory things for the cranberries-olives, onions, artichoke hearts, even mushrooms would be good...

Next post: BLT dip, another perennial holiday favorite in our family!

No comments: