Saturday, November 22, 2008

Quick Old-Fashioned Corn Relish

I think this is a beautiful addition to a relish tray. I'm not sure if I'll be making the relish tray for my Mom's house, but I know I will for my house on Saturday. I think this will be so pretty in a small crystal bowl. When Lynn and I married we got a bunch of beautiful crystal bowls and platters. I use them for every holiday. I am not in favor of "saving" the good stuff-I never really understood what you're saving it for. If you can't use your pretty dishes on Thanksgiving and Christmas, when will you use it? I use mine for New Year's, Valentines, Easter, Memorial Day, July 4th...you get the idea. I even use them for Tuesday night hamburgers at home sometimes. And if we have guests, I always use the nice stuff. Ok, enough lecturing. Here's that corn relish recipe...and it would even be pretty in a styrofoam bowl if that's your style!

Quick Old-Fashioned Corn Relish
1/2 c. vinegar
1/3 c. sugar
1 t. salt
1/2 t. celery seed
1/4 t. mustard seed
14 t. hot pepper sauce
15 1/4 oz. canned corn, drained
2 T. green pepper, chopped
1 T. pimento, chopped
1 T. onion, minced

Combine the first 6 ingredients together in a medium sized saucepan. Bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes; remove from heat and set aside to cool. Combine remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl; add vinegar mixture. Cover and refrigerate. Makes 1 2/3 cups.

I hope you enjoy it!
Next post-Cornbread Dressing-oh, yeah, baby-now we're getting to the good stuff!!

No comments: