Friday, November 7, 2008

20 Days!


Only 20 days until Thanksgiving..I can smell the turkey and dressing already!

Today's post is about the menu. I like to keep the menu fairly traditional, but flexible enough that guests can bring family favorites that might not be on my list. If I haven't mentioned this 100 times already, let me just say that we go to my Mom's house for a family gathering on Thanksgiving Day, then Lynn and I host the Miller family on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. This has worked out really well...I can often pick up a ham and a turkey on "Black Friday" (you know, the day after Thanksgiving) for much less than I could on, say, "orange Wednesday" or whatever you would call the day before Thanksgiving.

So, here's the menu I have planned right now. Of course, it could change!


Appetizers:
Cranberry spread with crackers
Veggie tray with assorted dips
Thanksgiving Sunrise punch-this is orange juice with cranberry juice ice cubes, with ginger ale pour over! Looks like the sunrise!
hot spiced cider

Main dishes and sides:
Turkey and cornbread dressing
Ham
Potatoes (mashed this year, I think)
Sweet Potatoes
Green Beans
Relish tray with pickles, olives and cranberry sauce
Rolls

Desserts are assorted, but I usually try to make something pumpkiny...usually Paula Deen's Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake..the recipe is on this blog, several posts down! Try it-it's so good!


Drinks are usually tea and coffee, with assorted sodas available.


This is just part of the menu, because everyone who attends bring things too. I like to make these basics myself, that way everyone else can bring those family favorites I mentioned earlier.

I can't wait to eat!


Thankfully,

Cathy

No comments: