Saturday, November 15, 2008

Hot Spiced Apple Cider

Do you like hot spiced apple cider? I really like it, but I don't like the instant powdered kind that you just add water to very much. It has a funny, artificial taste to me. I made a pot of the homemade kind for our family breakfast today.



I went to Dollar Tree and picked up the glass mugs and set out a tray of them along with some apple slices, cinnamon sticks and the cider.



Here's a picture of how it looked:



Very Southern Livingish, don't you think?


Here's my simple recipe for this yummy seasonal drink. My family thinks it's not Thanksgiving if I don't make hot cider!

1 gallon apple cider or apple juice-I usually use the juice, and sometimes I even use the frozen concentrate...it tastes just as good as the bottled stuff.

1 tsp. ground cinnamon

1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg

1/2 tsp. ground cloves

1/2 cup brown sugar (or more to taste)

Put the cider in a large saucepan or a crockpot. Stir in the sugar and spices, let it warm up and serve. That's it! Sometimes I use whole cloves and cinnamon sticks and tie them in a cheesecloth bag and let it steep...but most times I just dump the ground spices in!

Slice up an apple and put out a jar of cinnamon sticks to serve with the cider...very pretty!

Next post: my recipe for Cranberry Spread, a yummy and pretty appetizer for Thanksgiving or Christmas!






2 comments:

Becki said...

MY Jake especially loves your Hot Cider. It's must for a Miller Thanksgiving.

The Old Parsonage said...

I agree very Southern Living