Monday, October 27, 2008

Thanksgiving Looms!

Oh, yeah! It's time to start preparing for my favorite holiday! You just have to love a holiday that doesn't focus on anything but gratitude, food, football and fellowship!! No gifts to buy, no elaborate decorations are necessary (but they are nice if you like to do that sort of thing) and nothing to worry about but the kind of pie you'll have for dessert...gotta love that!

Here's a recipe that I found in Susan Branch's Autumn From the Heart of the Home cookbook. If you're not familiar with Susan Branch, check out her site and think about ordering her books. I got mine from Amazon last year, and they weren't at all expensive...I can't remember how much I spent, but I know for sure it wasn't much or I wouldn't have ordered them. I like them as well as the Gooseberry Patch books, which you all know I am crazy about.

I think I'll make this for our Thanksgiving celebration this year...it just sounds so good and fall like to me.

Warm Salad of White Beans, Sage and Garlic
9 oz small white beans (dried)
1/4 c. minced fresh sage
1 tsp. minced garlic
3 Tbsp. minced flat leaf parsley
1/3 c. olive oil,
1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
salt and pepper to taste
Arugula leaves

Sort, rinse and drain beans. Bring them to a boil in 4 cups water; reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and let sit 1 hour. Rinse beans and return to pan with 8 cups fresh water. Simmer 20 minutes so beans are tender but not mushy. Rinse again in hot water and drain. Put in bowl. Mix together sage, garlic, parsley, oil, vinegar and salt and pepper. Pour over beans, stir gently. Let sit 1/2 hour. Add celery and taste for seasoning. Serve warm or at room temp. It's pretty on a bed of arugula.

I have to be honest...I'll probably use canned beans, drained and rinsed and warmed. But doesn't that sound good? It's all the flavors I put in my dressing. It sounds like a great side dish for a grilled chicken breast too. And you know, don't you, that beans are full of fiber. A surgeon friend of ours told me once that the reason so many people have colon related problems is because the typical American diet is too low on fiber and water. So drink up and eat bean salad!

Keep watching for more Thanksgiving related posts in November...tis the season!!

Thankfully,
Cathy

2 comments:

Diedra said...

You are so right about the beans! They also help relieve arthritis and many colon problems. So eat those beans!

Ahorsesoul/Scrappin Not Nappin

Becki said...

I was driving home from Pine Bluff this week and I saw a Scare Crow just like yours on the side of the road. I recognized it from your photo and said, "There is Cathy's Scare Crow!" I know you live no where near there. But, I knew what I meant!