Saturday, June 7, 2008

Thank you, Ms. Deen!

Although my Granny used to make Gooey Butter Cake, Paula Deen is the one that introduced me to the variations of this rich, flavorful, fat-filled delight! I love the pumpkin version, and I've made it that past two Thanksgivings...and it's been a big hit, both times. I can't wait for Thanksgiving in June so that I can make it again! Check out the Haunted Hamlet for my favorite Halloween version!! This is from Paula's book, Lady and the Son's Just Desserts

Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake
Cake
1 (18.25-ounce) box yellow cake mix
1 egg
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
Filling
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
2 eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 (16-ounce) box confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine cake mix, egg, and butter and mix well. Pat into the bottom of prepared pan and set aside.
Still using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese until smooth; add eggs and vanilla. Dump in confectioners' sugar and beat well. Reduce speed of mixer and slowly pour in butter. Mix well.
Pour filling onto cake mixture and spread evenly. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Don't be afraid to make a judgment call on the cooking time, because oven temperatures can vary. You want the center to be a little gooey, so don't bake it past that point!
Remove from oven and allow to cool completely. Cut into squares. Just remember that these wonderful little cakes are very, very rich, and a little will go a long way-even for piggies like me!

Pumpkin Gooey: This variation has to be at the top of my list, especially around Thanksgiving. For the cake part, I sometimes use a spice cake mix. I have even used a chocolate cake mix, but I think my favorite is the basic yellow cake mix. Follow the original recipe, adding a 15-ounce can of pumpkin pie filling and an extra egg to the cream cheese filling. Bake as usual, remove from oven, and allow to cool. Cut into squares and top each square with a pecan half. Serve with a dollop of fresh whipped cream. I promise you'll never want pumpkin pie again!

Those are Paula's comments, but she's right...you won't!!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

That recipe sounds just like my families version of ooey gooey bars, and I agree they are wonderful. My grandmother and aunt have made them since I was a child at Thanksgiving and Christmas..now as an adult I make the treat several times a year instead of waiting for the seaon :>) A guilty pleaseure :>) I love your sites this time of year until after new years is my favorite time of the year!!! Have a great week!!!